This summer our grill has been clocking in some major hours. Jared uses it every chance he gets. Earlier this summer, Jared had been eyeing slabs of skirt steak in the meat department and recently they finally went on sale. He had been wanting to try it for a while and this was the perfect opportunity. He took the carne asada approach to prepping this dish and marinated it with lime and garlic powder overnight. He grilled it to about a medium rare. It was so good and packed full of flavor that he made it again for my family for our 4th of July celebrations and of course it was a huge hit.
1 untrimmed skirrrrt steak slab
- Squeeze the lime juice over the steak
- Sprinkle on salt/pepper/garlic powder to taste
- Marinate the steak overnight
- Heat the grill on high
- Once the grill is up to grilling temperature, place the steak on the grill and leave the cover open
- Grill for about 3 mins per side
- Place the steak on a plate and let it sit for several minutes so the juice can redistribute (it's totally true what they say about letting a steak rest!)
- Slice the steak thin against the grain and serve. (This is key!)
Skirt steak goes well in a salad with bleu cheese or on a bed of grilled onions and pepper. Jared likes to sprinkle kosher salt onto the steak after slicing to boost the flavor. Btw, a single slab of skirt steak goes a long way. I think the two of us ate it for 2-3 meals straight... :) Hey, I'm not complaining.