The second part of the lobster series brings us to a noodle dish. Cold somen is a popular dish eaten during the summer in Japan. This simple cold noodle dish is a perfect light meal for a hot summer day. Jared paired it with sweet lobster meat and grilled oyster mushroom to make it a perfect combination.
Lobster meat from the knuckles and body
2 bundles somen
Roasted sesame seeds
- Clean and boil the lobster for about 10mins in boiling water
- Drain the lobster and let it cool until it is not too hot to handle
- Remove the meat from the knuckles and abdomen
- In a separate pot, boil the somen in boiling water until it is cooked
- Drain the noodle and place it in an ice/water bath
- Add water to a bowl (enough for 2 servings) then slowly add the tsuyu to taste. Tsuyu comes in concentrated form, you can usually follow the proportion written on the bottle.
- Oil and salt the mushroom and place it on a hot grill
- Grill the mushroom for several minutes and remove
- Drain the cold noodles and place it in the serving bowl
- Add the lobster meat and grilled mushroom on top
- Garnish with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and chopped green onions
- When ready to serve, pour the soup onto the noodles and ENJOY!